Sunday, March 8, 2009

One Hundred Daze

Minden Opera House, downtown Minden Ne.

Right off the bat, I want to thank those of you who attended the opening reception for my solo exhibit, "Marking Time" at the Minden Opera House. We packed the house and had a great time. I was honored and humbled by your presence.

The gallery entry is to the back of the lobby. A beautful start!

My Monster Fan Club










I hinted at a new project in last week's post. Now that the MOH show is up, I'll give you the skinny on the new deal.
My friend Mavis and I have jumped on the bandwagon, joined the crowd and gotten on board with the "Painting a Day" game. For 100 days, starting March 2nd, we have promised each other - and you - that we will create a 5 x 7 painting every weekday for 100 days. (C'mon, I gotta have weekends off.) Our theme is "Off the Highway". We live in different time zones and use different styles in our artwork, but we' ve got highways, both physical and electronic, that link us to each other.
What's the point? (Besides all the cool kids are doing it?)
For the same reason there is Mount Everest and hot dog eating contests at the county fair.
Just because. Just to see if we can. Just for 100 days. Just 100 little paintings.
It seemed like a good idea at the time?
Reason 1.It's show up or shut up time. No whiners allowed. Put down the paper, ignore the crossword puzzle and stride purposefully into the studio. Laundry can wait. Trust me on that.
Reason 2. Learn. There's no way I can paint that many pieces and not learn something. I may learn I don't like to paint every day. I may decide I want to paint larger. I just might find I love it...who knows?
3. Make it count. If the goal is to finish the painting in one day, my decisions had better be good. No more diddling around. Mix the paint right the first time. Make the brushstroke say what it must the first time.
4. It's only one hundred days. It's not a lifetime. Granted, one hundred days is longer than some marriages or careers, but it's doable for me.
5. Learn to see. It'll be interesting to see what opens up for us as we find new subject matter for 100 paintings.
Check in on us from time to time. Comments welcome.
One hundred days, one hundred paintings.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Yay, Patty!!! A solo show! I am so proud of you. I wish you would take more photos of the exhibit for those of us who are far away. Please?

Best wishes on your 100 paintings. I did 100 paintings (not in 100 days, but I was running a business at the time...) and it was one of the best things I have ever done. You WILL learn! Tons! I sure did.

Patty said...

Thanks Karine, images uploaded as requested. Wish you could have been there!

Unknown said...

Wow Patty! you GO GIRL! no more diddling. who cares if your socks are clean? I can hardly wait to see all this awesome new work. Thanks for sharing the images of the exhibit - what a nice venue! was there champagne and pupper-azzi?
hugs from pugville...

Kate & Ryan said...

Patty! You are so inspiring. I'm printing this and putting it on my bulletin board:
"It's show up or shut up time. No whiners allowed. Put down the paper, ignore the crossword puzzle and stride purposefully into the studio. Laundry can wait. Trust me on that."
love,
niece kate

Patty said...

Darling Kate!! Thanks for your kindness my dear. Huge congrats on your successes!

Sarah said...

I'm so excited you have joined the "group"! Not having to perform for anything, or anyone is a very freeing process...at least for me.
:):):):)