Sunday, September 15, 2013

Demo Part Two

Greetings Friends -

A few weeks ago I shared a piece that had been part of a workshop demo for the Sandpainter's Art Guild in Valentine, Ne.


 
When all was said and done - or at the end of the workshop anyway, I had a pretty decent start on a pretty decent painting, at least enough to give the students some sense of how I progress through a project.

 
I had reached a point where several things needed to happen.  It was time to make serious decisions about certain things; for instance, does my original idea of putting a road in hurt or help?  Second, what to do with all that background space? Third, where's the bathroom?
 

It's been a few weeks now. I've forgotten some of the original plans for this piece and can look at it with a fresh eye. The first decision is to put that road back in. 

 
 
Include a few hay bales up front to fill some of that empty space...add some interest into the foreground with some small birds...
 
©2013Patricia Scarborough Valentine Demo

 
 Touch up a few places and voila! 

... or, almost voila.

As I've said before in this blog, seeing a painting in a different context gives clues to solutions you may not have known you needed.  And so it goes with this one.

This demo isn't over yet. Stay tuned.

5 comments:

Karine Swenson said...

It's so much fun to watch another artist's process. (and comforting to know others change their minds.)
:)

Patty said...

Karine, I marvel at artists who have a plan, and stick to it. That just doesn't work for me.
Your work is so intuitive, I'd love to watch you at work!

Cathyann Burgess said...

I will stayed tuned! I love to others in progress...Thanks Patty!

michaelbcampbell said...

So cool to see you do that in steps! But it's still a magical mystery.

Patty said...

Thanks MichaelB. I'd say 1 part magic and 7 parts hard work, 6 parts determination. 2 parts luck. And some paint. Maybe a kitchen sink...