Sunday, April 13, 2014

Planning the Flow



This one satisfies me. Problem solved.
 
I’m getting a little tiny handle on some artistic growing pains.  You may have noticed.  Painting successfully has been a challenge the last couple of months. I’ve described it in these posts using whiny thoughts disguised as bravery that became apparent only after poking the ‘publish’ button. Sorry ‘bout that.

I have known for months that some changes were in order. Probably would have been a good idea right then and there to sit down and figure out just exactly which changes and what order.

But then I don’t work like that. I go with the flow, flow with my mood, follow brush marks and fresh thoughts, bird walks and over grown paths into the wilderness, continuing to push on hoping -  believing - I’ll be able to come out on the other side.  I have been Stanley to my own Dr. Livingstone.

My problem-solving process has been less the solving of an identified problem through a developed process than working through a situation with equal amounts of planning, panic, disgust, frustration, annoyance, some talent and sheer luck. I keep throwing myself into deep water believing I’ll figure out that whole swimming thing before going under completely. It has worked just often enough that I believe it’ll work again, fingers crossed.

Albert Einstein said, Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Not yet ready for membership in that club, it's time to develop a new problem-solving process. Part of that process is the recognition that my problem-solving process was the problem. Say that one three times real fast.

The first step will be figuring out what worked, what satisfied me; what didn’t and why. I will try to preserve that go-with-the-flow attitude while learning to let go before I follow that flow right down the drain.
I may still jump in a little too far into the deep end, but at least I’ll put water wings on first.  

3 comments:

Tammy S. said...

Well done Patty! The atmosphere and mood of this painting is perfect. I'd say stick with your gut. It rarely leads you astray.

Unknown said...

You are good at writing about the art making process, Patty. I shrink from that task with sheer terror, choosing to hole up and write nothing for weeks on end. I admire you.

Patty said...

You both mean an awful lot to me, your support and interest over the years has kept me going. Thanks for hanging in there with me!