Sunday, June 7, 2009

Some Will . . . Some Won't

A fundamental law of thinkers-outside-the-box reared its head in my skull a few weeks ago, and it's been burbling around there ever since. This idea has given me comfort lately, and I'm relieved. It's probably a mantra of every teenaged girl since the beginning of time, but gets silenced as being part of the Cool Kids becomes more important.


It's the SWSWSW principle.


I've been really getting into a groove of painting since Mavis and I have been working on this 100 paintings in 100 days project. Every Monday through Friday we've agreed to produce a 5 x 7 painting and share it with the world. This is different than painting every day. Painting every day is tough enough, but our intention is to actually finish a painting every day of the work week.


For those of you who are mathematically challenged, this means that we'll have 100 completed paintings in 100 days.


It seems to me that if a painter, or sculptor or whomever produced 100 whatevers, a fella would notice a change in styles or subjects or something as the artist/creator tried to find 100 ways of doing what they do. This kind of work is open to experimenting both for fun and to keep from getting bored. It's happening to me, and quite frankly it gave me the shivers at first.


I've been told that I have a distinctive style (which I take as a compliment). My patrons have told me that if they walk into a room full of paintings, they can pick mine out fairly quickly. Here's where the shivers start.


I'm changing.
Day 71 Heavy Weather 2009 5 x 7 pastel
Banner Image Day 72 Goldenrod Morning 2009 5 x 7 pastel
Painting every day has loosened something in my brain. I find that I'm painting more from memory, or from an idea, than I ever have. I'm not so much interested in creating an exact replica of an actual 'thing' as I am trying to share with you a feeling that I had.


And it worried me a bit.


Gosh, what will They think? Will They know it's me? Will They still want to be my friend?


SWSWSW.


In sales and marketing circles, that means: Some Will, Some Won't, So What?


Some will appreciate what I've created. Some won't get it. Really, So What?


Here's So What: I have 30 more paintings to go in this series. I'll paint some zingers, I'll certainly paint a few dogs. I'll learn a heck of alot more taking risks and playing around with ideas than if I play it safe hoping to be part of the Cool Kids. Where did that ever get me?


The pressure is off. I'm doing this for me, you're just invited along for kicks and giggles.


That's What.


Some Will, Some Won't, So What? So What about you?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You are so much fun. SWSWSW - i LOVE THAT!!! I also love your new painting.