Sunday, July 1, 2012

See What I See


This weekend I’m in the final stages of preparation for an exhibit with ceramic artist Sharon Ohmberger at The Burkholder Project.  

One of the little pleasures I allow myself when preparing for an exhibit is to haul all the potential artwork into one room and spread it out. Every piece is all spiffed up and rubbing elbows with its neighbor like kin a holiday family photo.

This is the time Handsome Husband and I take stock of my latest efforts. Today, popping up all over my living room like happy sunflowers are 20 paintings that – if I must say so myself – look pretty darned good. 

©2012 Patricia Scarborough Hayfields, Looking Back  11 x 14 oil
The last couple of years I’ve had a steady pace of exhibiting; some group shows, a few juried, even a couple of solo exhibits. The only way to pull that off is to paint – a lot. And I’m telling you, you can’t show up at an easel that many times and not come away with something.

What I’ve come away with is a different, fresh way of interpreting what I’ve been painting for a couple of decades. Not to worry, I’m still very much a landscape painter, and there’s no doubt these are landscape paintings. It’s that I come to them with a clearer understanding of what I want to show you when I look over the hills and fields of south central Nebraska.

©2012 Patricia Scarborough  Meander  12 x 16 oil
Come see for yourself. I’m happy to invite you to The Burkholder Project, 719 P St in Lincoln, Ne to see this exhibit, which will hang from July 2 through the 31st.  If you're feeling cooped up, join us for Lincoln’s First Friday Art Walk from 7 – 9pm.  the Haymarket District is a great place to spend a Friday evening. It might be toasty, the weather's been fierce lately, but you can slip across the street for a cool drink or an ice cream and hang out with other art lovers.
Come see what I see.

No comments: